Websites | featured news

Google Casts a Big Shadow on Smaller Web Sites


For Web sites that depend on their ranking in search results, Google’s secret — and frequently fluctuating — search algorithm can evoke a complex blend of admiration and fear.


Fan Sites for Pop Stars Settle Children’s Privacy Charges

Selena Gomez Fansite

The operator of Web sites for Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez and others agreed to pay a $1 million civil penalty to settle federal charges that it had illegally collected information about thousands of young children.


Cheap book websites for students on a budget

As July melted into August, college towns around the country began to swell with incoming freshmen, returning students and faculty, and campus bookstores began to stock their shelves. handed over in settlement over alleged deception

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will receive a website,, from a marketing company accused of deceiving veterans by steering them to for-profit colleges while it masqueraded as an unbiased source of information.


OPM chief: ‘We messed up’ USAJobs launch

The federal personnel chief said Thursday that his agency “messed up” the problem-filled launch of the government’s updated job board, and he apologized “to all the applicants who’ve had trouble” finding and applying for jobs for more than three weeks. “If we had the ability to roll back the clock, I sure would do it differently,” John Berry said at a briefing on USAJobs, the federal employment Web site that the government took over from 18 months ago.


Website lets wealthy 1% show support for the other 99%

Many of those posting statements and photos on the site in response to the Occupy Wall Street protests are the children of well-off parents. While members of the so-called 99% take part in Occupy Wall Street protests, a new website lets some of the wealthy 1% declare their support for the movement.


7 Tips to Create The Mobile Version of a Website

Not long ago developers considered browser-rendering differences to be one of the most challenging problems. IE6 probably a nightmare to the online industry, is gone but there are still a lot of issues with browsers that make coding a tough job.


How many pages are on the Internet?

It seems like an answerable question, right? But no one really knows how many websites or individual Web pages make up this seemingly infinite digital universe that is the Internet.


Carrey launches new website with video love letter

Jim Carrey is launching his new website with a bang. The 49-year-old actor posted a video love letter to "The Help" star Emma Stone on Wednesday that many online deemed "creepy." The one-minute, 53-second video shows Carrey speaking into a handheld camera and sincerely professing his love for the 22-year-old actress.


Adobe Enables Code-Free Web Site Building With Muse

Adobe is working to make it easier for designers to build their own Web sites. A new application from Adobe, codenamed Muse, lets designers create and publish functional Web sites in a similar way to how they would mock-up a site in InDesign or Illustrator. Muse offers users a familiar Adobe tool set in a WYSIWYG interface. Muse is not designed...


Subscribe to this RSS topic: Syndicate content