- Renting skis is not just for novices
NBC News, Tuesday - 12/10/2013 - 02:19 PM
STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. — Just like skiing in jeans or falling while waiting in the lift line, renting gear for a visit to the slopes used to be a sure sign of a novice skier. Not anymore.
- Tricks for first-class holiday air travel
NBC News, Tuesday - 12/10/2013 - 11:48 AM
Even without winter storms delaying commercial flights, Santa's sleigh may be the speediest form of holiday travel. Unfortunately, he doesn't take on passengers—which means the roughly 5 million Americans that fly over Christmas and New Year's will need to take other steps for a relaxing flight.
- In Transit Blog: Walkabout: The Rise of Dubai’s Sedate Sister; A Ground War Between Airlines
New York Times, Tuesday - 12/10/2013 - 10:09 AM
A weekly capsule of travel news curated by our writers and editors.
- Off-season stops in Charleston and Bandon offer a great escape from the cold (photos)
Portland Oregonian, Monday - 12/09/2013 - 10:00 PM
Escape the bitter cold and head to the Oregon Coast for mid-50s temperatures.
- In Transit Blog: In Marrakesh, Lodging With a Starry History
New York Times, Monday - 12/09/2013 - 04:00 PM
The new Riad Star in Marrakesh was once the home of the entertainer Josephine Baker.
- Sandy-battered Shore town awaits $40 million seawall
New York Daily News, Monday - 12/09/2013 - 05:25 AM
MANTOLOKING, N. J. - Work on a $40 million, four-mile-long steel seawall that will extend through this Ocean County town and into the beachfront areas of neighboring Brick Township trounced by Hurricane Sandy could begin early next year, officials said.
- Diamonds gone, but Namibia still glitters
San Francisco Chronicle, Sunday - 12/08/2013 - 11:55 AM
- Launching a balloon and cameras from the Alvord Desert: An Appreciation of Oregon (video)
Portland Oregonian, Sunday - 12/08/2013 - 11:02 AM
She is running barefoot on the hard-pack grey desert floor chasing the path of the balloon as it twirls away from earth. A northwest wind is pushing the white balloon toward Steens Mountain, a golden sunset is hanging on the horizon.
- T Magazine: Sign of the Times | Under the Spell of Old Restaurants
New York Times, Friday - 12/06/2013 - 08:06 PM
When dining options run from faux retro bistros to sharing a distressed farmhouse table with strangers, there is something wonderfully enchanting about old restaurants that seem preserved in amber — white tablecloths, old-fashioned menus and all.
- Christmas on the estate: 6 grand houses
CNN, Friday - 12/06/2013 - 09:59 AM
It wouldn't be Christmas without carolers, hot chocolate -- and a tour of a Vanderbilt house? Deck the halls with a tour of the Biltmore or one of these other five grand American houses this holiday season.
- Million-Miler Donates Holiday Flights to Less Fortunate
ABCNews, Friday - 12/06/2013 - 08:50 AM
Peter Shankman is donating 25 round-trip flights for the holidays through his own frequent flier miles and some help from anonymous donors and JetBlue, which heard about his program and decided to donate another 10 flights. He will choose the winners through a contest that ends Sunday.
- Southwest, Virgin approved for LaGuardia slots
NBC News, Thursday - 12/05/2013 - 06:44 PM
DALLAS — The government will let Southwest Airlines and Virgin America buy takeoff and landing rights at New York's LaGuardia Airport that American Airlines and US Airways agreed to sell to win approval for their merger.